Sunday, January 22, 2017

Devotion 8: God, My Only Good


Devotion: Psalm 13:6

"I trust in your faithfulness. Grant my heart joy in your help, that I may sing..."
 (New American Bible)

The Bible is not afraid to risk tarnishing God's reputation and character by exposing the depths of disappointment and estrangement from God one may go through at one time or another, to one degree or another. Nevertheless, it is in that depth of despair that one ought not abandon faith in God as the only hope to the answer for which he cries out in his trouble, pain, and sorrow.

The NAB subtitles the psalm as a "Prayer in Time of Illness" but there is no indication in the psalm itself just what exactly is the problem except, perhaps, to hint someone is acting against him (v.5).

In any case, whatever the problem, the grief the psalmist experiences does not prevent him from believing God is good ("I trust in your faithfulness," v.6a) and expecting God to deliver and restore his good fortune (Grant my heart joy in your help," v.6b).

In all this grief, the psalmist's aim to receive the answer to his urgent prayer is not merely deliverance, but the opportunity to give to evidence to the unbelievers that God is good: "That I may sing of the Lord, how Good our God has been to me!"

"...you are my only good." Psalm 6:2

No comments:

Post a Comment