Saturday, July 2, 2016

Review: Old Yeller

Old Yeller Old Yeller by Fred Gipson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Yep, I get into reading a children's book sometimes. Trying to catch up from my Grammar School days. Anyway, this was about as good and exciting as the movie, perhaps better. And the ending sure bummed me out. But the ending was great and a good lesson on issues of life and death. I especially like the heart-to-heart talk Travis has with his father about Old Yeller. He doesn't provide a simplistic answer to death and is sort of loss for words of comfort, but he tells him the rough truth: "...things like that happen. They may seem might cruel and unfair, but that's how life is part of the time" (p.116).

I read this book with my 9-year-old Grandson and, although I got a bit ahead of him and finished it without him, this is a great book to the kids or Grandkids. The only problem you may have is with the archaic words.

This book is as it should be, a classic, and one of the best.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment