Thursday, November 19, 2015

Part 5: Jesus & Muhammed

This is my final message on the subject regarding why I believe Jesus is God as opposed to the Islamic belief that he is not God.

Last time we discussed how in the Qur'an, unlike Muhammed, Jesus is said to be the object of faith with a warning, at least implied, that to disbelieve him would bring divine judgment from God who knows all things, especially the hearts of men.

In addition, I notice that the Qur’an (in agreement with the New Testament), also claims that Jesus works miracles.


Jesus: the Miracle-Worker

In addition, I notice that the Qur'an (in agreement with the New Testament) also claims that Jesus works miracles.  

At the announcement of Jesus' birth to Mary, the angel tells her that God will appoint Jesus as an “apostle to the Children of Israel (with this message): ‘I have come to you with a sign from the Lord, in that I make for you out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, and breathe into it and it becomes a bird by God’s leave: and I heal those born blind, and the lepers, and I quicken the dead, by God’s leave’…” (Sura 3:49).

As a matter of fact, there are a few places in the Qur’an that claim Jesus performed miracles; see here

However, also in the Qur’an and in stark contrast, Muhammed is shown not to have performed any miracles.  He seems to be unwilling or unable to prove his mission by attesting “signs and wonders.”

In S 3:183, God tells the prophet that if they ask from him a miracle to prove you are His prophet, he is to answer by saying (and I paraphrase), “Why should I perform a wonder since you rejected the miracles performed by past prophets?”

In S 17:90-93, Muhammed is challenged to prove he is a prophet of God, yet he responds, “I’m only a mortal man,” suggesting to me that he is unable to perform the miracles demanded to prove his prophetic office as assigned by God.

Apparently, there are places in the Qur’an where a miracle is demanded from Muhammed to authenticate his mission as divine, yet he is, at least, unwilling and, possibly, unable to do so; for example, see here.

Of course, there are places in the Hadith claiming Muhammed performed miracles but the Hadith, as I understand, was not written under divine inspiration.  Please see here for further consideration: 

However, there are many places in the Bible that show Jesus performing “signs and wonders” as prophesied by the Hebrew prophets (e.g. Isaiah 35:4-6; 53:5, cp. Matthew 4:23) authenticating his words and mission as divine while, at the same time, proving his divinity (Mark 2:10-12).

From my perspective, the New Testament provides indisputable evidence that Jesus is who he claims to be and what he claims to be is more than a mere prophet of God like Muhammed.  Jesus claims to be someone greater than any man, even the prophet Muhammed; for, while the Qur’an admits that Muhammed is a mere man, the Bible forcefully demonstrates that Jesus is God as recorded in the New Testament and as prophesied in the Hebrew Scriptures ( the Old Testament).

As the man healed of blindness answered the harsh interrogations of Jesus’ ruling religious opponents seeking to charge Jesus with blasphemy, “If this man were not from God, he could do nothing” miraculous like healing the blind (John 9:33).

The message of the Gospel of Christ faces one today with the same question Jesus asked his disciples, which demanded from them an immediate answer: “Who do you say that I am?”

Conclusion

I have shown 5 reasons why I believe Jesus is God as opposed to the Islamic belief that he is not compared to the person of Muhammed as depicted in the Qur’an and the person of Jesus as he is depicted in both the Bible and the Qur’an.  To review, we saw that Jesus is
  1. a man of Peace
  2. Sinless
  3. the Messiah
  4. the Object of Faith
  5. a Miracle-Worker 

I can only pray that these 5 brief articles on why I believe Jesus is God will encourage readers to make an objective investigation for themselves concerning what the Bible says about Jesus and come to their own conclusions.  I will not keep secret that you will come to a conclusion that compels you to embrace the revelation that Jesus is God.

I welcome any questions, criticisms, and/or corrections regarding what I have written and a mature dialogue is always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment